Monday, November 22, 2010

Gigs

I've never been good at booking gigs. I mean sometimes I'd get lucky every now and then, but I must say my track record is less than impressive. I've always wished someone could just do the booking part and I could just worry about getting whatever equipment situation there may be sorted away and of course the actual playing of the music. Thankfully, Chelsie discovered a new talent of hers. The talent I'm speaking of is booking gigs-duh.

The past two months have been pretty busy. Oscar Mike is coming along. It's still a work in progress and we still have a lot to do before we actually make a splash on any kind of scene that might exist here, but to say that we haven't gotten any kind of opportunity would be crazy and down right wrong. We've played at least twice every week since we started playing out again back in September. I'd been out of it for a few years prior, but some things never change. Owners will over book bands. There will be a crappy PA systems(thankfully we have our own!) There will be other asshole musicians. There will be music snobs. But it's all good. I'm just happy to be up there again playing original music (with the occasional Michael Jackson cover)

We got involved with this local label in town called Infintesmal Records and they pretty much got us started, booking us at venues like Shantytown and Underbelly. Once we played Underbelly it was Daniel who booked the residency there every other Wednesday. The every other Wednesday line up usually consists of singer/songwriter Stacey Bennet, Jesse Kennedy, and this cello and bass viol-driven group appropriately named Antique Animals. Occasionally another band will be on the bill. For instance a 10-piece band from California popped up out of nowhere. That was a fun night. Great band. Great sound. They're called Red River. Listen to 'em.

It was Chelsie, however, who booked us at 1st Friday (where we now have a residency) and The Sinclair for the Conmoto Music and Art Festival. I really didn't think we flew over well there, but we've recently been booked again for next month, apparently opening for some popular band. I still don't know who the band is, and I didn't drop ANY kind of name so the last thing I want to hear is, "David said that his band is opening for DMB!!!" I NEVER said that!!

It is cool though when you go into Cool Moose to grab some breakfast with a gig hangover and the restaurant is playing your CD. It's even cooler when the waitress asks for your autograph. I felt really "cool".

All of this is besides the point. I set out this year to get up in front of people and play music again on a regular basis. It's taken all year, but it's finally starting to happen. It's quite nice.




1 comment: