Summer is in full swing here in Jax. Another school year has passed and while usually I'm enjoying summer break, that's not the case this year. I decided to work summer academy at my Thursday-Friday school and honestly, it's been a lot of fun so far. I have the opportunity to put together a school musical for the first time in my music education career. As an itinerant, I'm not granted this kind of opportunity, but since I'm at the school five days a week for the summer it's being asked of me and I welcome the challenge. I've enjoyed teaching the songs, script and casting over the last couple of weeks and we will begin full rehearsals this week. I've discovered hidden talents of some of the students and I'm optimistic that it will be not only fun for the children, but they will learn more about music (song form, singing technique,etc.)too. I feel like I'm becoming a better overall music teacher on the elementary level, however, things are changing.
I've been reassigned for the 2011-2012 school year as band director at First Coast High School. Over 20 music teachers were terminated at the end of the school year, and I should be grateful to have a job, but I've just never ever had the urge to be a band director. I LIKE elementary music. I like how silly it can be. I like the creative liberties I can take with the curriculum. I like working with younger children because their minds are like sponges. Due to RIF I've been placed at this position and I expressed my lack of interest with the district music supervisor. She explained to me that after July 11th, more music positions will open due to certification issues, retirement and such and that I will be immediately placed back in my itinerant position. I certainly hope this is the case. The only thing I can do now is hope that it plays out like that. We'll see. Time will tell and I'm a firm believer that nothing happens without a reason, as cliche as that sounds.
Tiffany, Daniel and I have very recently moved into a three bedroom house at Jax Beach. I welcome the change of scenery and more space. I lived in my apartment at Cooper's Hawk for three years, made great memories, and even better friends. The adjustment has been difficult so far, but I think that I will ultimately be happier here. What was I gonna do? Live in the same place for the next ten years? I will miss my neighbors though.
Nicole, my upstairs neighbor, got married last month. Richard, my across the hall neighbor, passed away from cancer last week and I will dearly miss him. He was a good man and one of the first friends I made when I moved here three and a half years ago. I have to say I will miss Dick, Shawn, and Lindsey most. I always had great conversations with Dick over a cigarette. Shawn and Lindsey were and are very good friends and I plan on keeping in touch with all of them. Jacksonville is such a big place that when you move across town you might as well be moving to a different state. I'm dead set on not losing touch.
Oscar Mike is steady. We've done a few shows within the last month at Freebird Live and Shantytown. We've slowed down the gigs. We're able to do less shows that are better quality than several shows that are hit or miss. Quality over quantity right? We have two shows lined up for this month at The Dive Bar downtown for Art Walk next Wednesday and at The Pit on the 14th. People are buying and listening to the new EP, Go For Broke. It's every musicians sole purpose to have people listen and enjoy your music, and if that's not why you do it then you're playing for the wrong reasons. I'm writing new music and I feel like I'm becoming a better overall songwriter. I'm particularly fond of my newest piece, Fist Pump. Yes, cheesy title, but it suits the song! We've developed a nice little following that Tiffany calls, "Oscar Mikers." Honestly, THEY make the shows and I love each and every one of them. All good people and we wouldn't be able to put on quality shows without their support.
All in all, everything is slow and steady which is good for now. Just trucking along, taking it one day at a time, and settling in.
No comments:
Post a Comment