Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Why Am I Still Here?

It's 4:15 a.m. and I'm sitting on an air mattress. I've been sleeping on this air mattress for the last week now, and I was getting used to it until the heat decided to ravage the northeast. It's hot. I thought the south was hot. This heat is like nothing I've ever experienced. It was 99 today. I think it's 99 tomorrow. It's supposed to cool down later in the week. I'm looking forward to that.

I've been in New York a little over a week now. It's an enchanting city. There's lots of culture, art, etc.. If you've been here before, you know what I'm talking about. I think that's been my favorite part of New York. For the past two years I've sat at lunch and dinner tables with people I have absolutely nothing in common with. I have had nothing to talk to them about. We share no common interests. The conversation dies. Here, so far it's been a different story. I've met more actors, musicians, artists, than I have my whole life. It's great. It's like they all share this common bond, this common goal to pursue their craft in the self-proclaimed world's greatest city.

I can't really explain the experiences I've had here. I would try, but I'm sure I would fail miserably. It's been awesome and I'll leave it at that. I've been building this trip, this visit up in my head now for quite some time. I was sure that everything was going to work out, and I really believed that this was something I could do. But this was not that kind of trip. Basically, in a nutshell, shit just fell apart to be honest. See, if you know me you know that I'm attempting to move here. I want to live here. I want to live here? Anyways we found a place. It's a great apartment in a great location in a quaint Brooklyn neighborhood. I would go into the logistics of what exactly went wrong, but I'll spare you the details. I still had a choice, however, despite Murphy rearing his ugly head.

I decided that at this point in my life, the risk greatly outweighed the rewards. Plain and simple. And that's why I can't sleep. That and the fact there's no AC in my friend's apartment I'm staying in. I'm still thankful, nevertheless! I guess I'm a bit angry with myself for thinking so safe and boring. I just wasn't sure if this kind of life was what I wanted, and with a drastic life change such as this, I would need to be sure of it.

So now I'm looking to hop a flight outta this damn heat box back to Florida. And the tickets are just too pricey. I come back to Jax on Sunday. God damn where the hell do I go from here? I'm right back at square one.

What's done is done. It's time to move forward. I really feel like a chapter of my life has ended with the conclusion of this trip. It will be time for something new. Some people can and probably will say that I failed. That's true, I have. I set out to move here and I'm not. But it's a helluva lot better than not trying at all. It's somewhat of a moral victory if there is such a thing.

4 comments:

  1. Successes and failures are determined by perception. Are you going to try to move somewhere else now, or will you stay in Jax until you figure something else out?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not too sure yet. I'm just gonna play it by ear and see what the universe brings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. David, in no way should you consider this a failure. You've never lived in New York. You thought it was a place you wanted to be. You found out it wasn't. Nothing wrong with that. Nick and I are so proud of you guys. It's not safe and boring thinking. You ATTEMPTED it. You went after what you wanted. Sometimes it doesn't work out. But better to know, than to never try at all. Keep your head up and look towards the future. This only means that greater things are to come your way. And who gives a shit what anyone else thinks. So you aren't moving to New York. Well, you've already been there three times more than I have... three times more than most people you know. Stick a push pin through it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love you, Chelsie :) We have to get together like...soon!

    ReplyDelete